Desktop Central

As the end of the school year approaches, Facilities Management and I.T. Services are gearing up for a busy summer.  One of the projects I.T. is working on this summer is to update the versions of software on our fleet of desktop and laptop computers.  To help in this endeavor, we will be employing a new remote desktop management software package called Desktop Central.  This software will be loaded on each computer automatically.  This does not affect your system performance in any way.  Below are the things that Desktop Central does and does not do:

What it does:

1.    Allows I.T. to push out updates to the software on your computer.  We have reached a point where it is critical to keep the versions of software on our computers up to date.  Malicious code that exploits security flaws in older software versions is increasing at an alarming rate.

2.    Windows 7 security patches are ending this summer and we must deploy Windows 10.  Desktop Central can remotely install Windows 10.

3.   Allows I.T. to keep a better inventory of the software we have deployed.  This is useful so we can stay in compliance with our software licensing agreements and to ensure antivirus and malware protection is installed.

4.    Has a screen sharing feature like Teamviewer, that I.T. currently uses for remote support.  *See note below on screen sharing and remote access policy.

What it does NOT do:

1.    Desktop Central in no way audits or logs any activity on your computer.

*Screen sharing and remote access policy:  Occasionally it is necessary for an I.T. employee to connect to a desktop/laptop computer on campus to help troubleshoot a problem. I.T. has a policy on when/how screen sharing and remote access tools are used.

1.    I.T. will never launch a screen sharing session without permission from the computer owner/user.

2.    All screen sharing sessions are logged to ensure a proper audit trail exists.

3.    No software updates will be made without first notifying the person that will be affected by the change. The one exception are security patches.  They are internal code changes and generally do not have a noticeable effect on a computer’s performance.  They are pushed out automatically without prior notification.

(comments disabled)