-Are there options on how my payroll check is deposited each month with direct deposit ?

Employees have the option of splitting direct deposit funds between two different accounts and/or banks.  Accurate banking information on each account must be supplied to Administrative Services at least two weeks prior to the payroll date.

-When is payday?

The last working day of each month is customarily payday at OBU.  See payroll schedule for 2019.

-Will Administrative Services request a copy of my social security card to process payroll?

Providing a copy of your social security card is voluntary; however, documentation proving one’s identity and eligibility to work, as mandated by Form I-9, will be required no later than the beginning of employment.  Examples of acceptable documentation are:

  • An unexpired state issued driver’s license (with photo) AND original social security card, OR
  • An unexpired state issued driver’s license (with photo) AND a certified copy of your birth certificate, OR
  • An unexpired valid US passport OR foreign passport with current Form I-94.

Additional examples of acceptable documentation for the I-9 form can be found on the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

-What do the abbreviations OASDI and MEDIC stand for on my payroll stub?

There are two components to the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax; the 6.2% Social Security tax, (OASDI) and the 1.45% Medicare (MEDIC) or Hospital Insurance tax.

For more information on OASDI and MEDIC contributions, visit the Social Security website at:

-How do I receive my last paycheck upon termination of employment?

All terminating employees must schedule an exit interview with our Payroll and Fringe Benefits Specialist.  At that time, the employee must relinquish all university keys and identification cards.  Upon satisfactory completion of this process, the employee’s final paycheck will be released on the next regularly scheduled pay date.

-How do I receive a duplicate copy of my annual W-2 statement?

Copies are available in Administrative Services.

-Is it possible to claim exemption from withholding on my W-4?

Generally, an employee may claim exemption from federal tax withholding if he or she had no tax liability last year and expects none this year.  An employee cannot claim exemption if his/her income exceeds $1,050 and includes more than $350 of unearned income, such as interest, and the employee is claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.


-What is the annual deductible on the traditional health insurance plan?

The annual deductible is $600 per person or $1,200 for a family.  Expenses incurred and applied to the deductible in the months of October, November or December of a prior year are carried over to the next year.

-How long are my children eligible for health insurance coverage under the OBU group plan?

As defined in the health plan document, a dependent child is covered under the health plan until their 26th birthday.  A dependent child includes:

  • A natural biological child;
  • A step child;
  • A legally adopted child or a child legally placed for adoption as granted by action of a federal, state, or local governmental agency responsible for adoption administration or a court of law if the child has not reached age 26 as of the date of such placement;
  • A child under your or your spouse’s permanent legal guardianship as ordered by a court;
  • A child who is considered an alternate recipient under a Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO);
  • A grandchild as long as the employee has permanent custody and resides in the employee’s household and the employee is acting as a parent.

A dependent child DOES NOT include:

  • Any other relative or individual unless explicitly covered by the OBU Group Health Plan;
  • A foster child;
  • A dependent child if the child is covered as a dependent of another employee at OBU.

For more information, go to OBU Group Health Plan Document.

-Where do I find a listing of providers that participate  in the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) with the OBU health insurance plan?

Access the UMR website for a complete listing of all provider participants.

-How do I find out the status of a claim on my health insurance plan?

UMR allows covered individuals to check on the status of claims paid or pending for themselves and/or their dependents.  Claim information is real time and available 24 hours per day.

Other Fringe Benefits

-How long do I have to sign up for benefits after I am hired at OBU?

Most benefit plans offered by OBU require that enrollment for eligible employees be completed within the first 30 days of employment.

-When am I eligible to receive a service award?

Awards are presented to employees who have completed 10 years of service to the university and for each five additional years.  Employees who have been on the payroll at least six (6) months prior to August 31 will have that year counted toward their total years of service.  Part-time employees, including adjunct faculty, must be considered at least fifty (50) percent or more in order to count a particular year as a year of service.


-How do I change my contributions to the retirement plan?

A new salary reduction agreement must be completed in order to increase or decrease monthly contributions.  All contributions are subject to the maximum legal limits as defined in IRS Publication 571.

-How do I change my fund allocations on my retirement plan?

Fund allocations may be changed by either calling the retirement plan carrier (GuideStone Financial Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention or TIAA-CREF) or going online.  The toll free number for GuideStone Financial is 888-984-8433 or access them at  TIAA-CREF may be reached toll free at 800-842-2776 or at

-Am I 100% vested?

All employees hired prior to October 1, 2008 are automatically vested.  Employees hired after October 1, 2008 must wait five years before being fully vested in the plan.


-Who is considered an immediate family member for purposes of leave?

The answer to that question depends on the type of leave the employee is requesting.  For purposes of the Family and Medical Leave Act, immediate family member means one’s spouse, child or parent.  In-laws are not considered immediate family.

For purposes of funeral leave, immediate family includes one’s spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and spouse’s parents.

-How soon do I need to notify OBU that I need to request leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act provisions?

The employee is obliged to give at least 30 days notice of any foreseeable need for leave.  For unforeseeable leave, employees must give notice as soon as possible.

Flexible Benefits

-Is there an age limit under the Flexible Benefits Plan to receive reimbursement on child care expenses?

Yes.  An eligible individual is a child under age 13, or a dependent or spouse of any age who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care.

-What is the maximum dollar amount I can set aside for dependent care expenses?

The maximum salary reduction contribution for dependent care expenses under a flex plan is $5,000.  It is also important to note that the amount of reimbursement must not be greater than your income or your spouse’s, whichever is lower.

(comments disabled)